History of the Miami County Sheriff

In the early 1800’s there was no reference to a Sheriff for the county.


The first reference found to the first Sheriff was in 1807 when Sheriff Stephen Dye was paid by the County the sum of $3.60 to fix seats for the court which was being held in the home of Peter Felix.


There was very little record of the second Sheriff.  It is believed that the Sheriff and his wife died in the Cholera Epidemic of 1853.


It is believed according to information found that Sheriff Stephen Dye was elected to a second term as Sheriff.


Sheriff Levi Hart came to Ohio from New Jersey and opened a store and tavern in 1810.  There is no record of his wife but he did have a son, John Maxwell Hart, who became a partner in the hardware store of Hart and Harter that was later elected Sheriff.


There was no information on the above Sheriff and it is believed he only served one term.

 1823 Sheriff Robert Culbertson

Sheriff Robert Culbertson was one of five brothers who came to Troy from Cumberland County, which is located in Pennsylvania.  They all became businessmen.

Sheriff Culbertson had four daughters who all of whom married very prominent citizens, W. H. Gohagan, W. H. Dye, Henry Mayo and Samuel Worrell.


Sheriff Shidler did not do well in his business ventures.  It appears that Sheriff Shidler transported a boat load of Miami County produce to New Orleans but much of the produce spoiled while being transported.  The business venture was unsuccessful.


The Defreese family came to Ohio from Virginia and remained in this area to become very productive citizens of the community.


Sheriff Stephen Johnston’s father was killed by Indians at Fort Wayne in 1847.  No other information could be found on Sheriff Stephen Johnston.


It was reported that Sheriff Thomas Jay was a newspaper publisher.  No other information could be found on Sheriff Thomas Jay.


Sheriff Joseph Pearson was an officer in the Lafayette Blues, a volunteer militia.  He was the first mayor of Troy, Ohio.  He was also the postmaster from 1845 until 1849.  Mr. Pearson also served as the first probate judge from 1854 until 1861.


No information could be located on Sheriff James M. Roe.


No information could be located on Sheriff Daniel Ellis.


Sheriff Maxwell Hart was the son of the third sheriff, Sheriff Levi Hart and was also a partner in Hart and Harter.  After Sheriff Hart’s wife passed away Sheriff Hart lived with his partner’s family.  In 1880 they built a house in Troy that is now known as the Troy Elk’s Club. 


Sheriff C. T. Baer held the office of Sheriff during the Civil War.  Sheriff Baer’s daughter was married to the Miami County Recorder.


After leaving office in 1869 Sheriff S. D. Frank became a county commissioner.


Sheriff S. D. Frank was elected to a second term as Sheriff.


No information could be found on Sheriff W. A. Evans.


No information could be found on Sheriff David L. Lee.


While Sheriff D. C. Miller was in office one of the ex-Randolph slaves was convicted of murdering his wife.  A tall wooden fence was built so the public could not see the hanging of the convicted murderer.  It was reported that Sheriff D. C. Miller then gave out 100 tickets to his friends so they could witness the hanging.


Sheriff John M. Campbell was a very successful businessman in the community.  He was a partner on many corporations, grain elevators, and banks.  It was reported that he was a partner in one of the two reported telephone companies in Troy at the time, along with other interests.


 While in the office of Sheriff, A. M. Heywood and a partner bought a bank.  Sheriff Heywood also became a trustee of the municipal light plant.  Sheriff Heywood also became a receiver for the bankrupt Troy Carriage Company.  It was reported that Sheriff Heywood had been with Sherman’s march from Atlanta to the sea in the Civil War.


No information could be found on Sheriff T. W. Ashworth.


Sheriff Edward M. Wilbee said he would build a carriage factory in Troy which would employ between 100 and 150 people if the Council would donate $25,000.00 for his project.  Sheriff Wilbee’s request was denied by council.


Sheriff Frank E. Scobey and some friends decided a miniature Eiffel Tower should be built in the public square where once a liberty pole topped by a golden eagle had stood.  The men raised the money by private subscription and had Schnell Bothers and H. L. Hatfield build the structure.  Later lights were installed and a band stand was erected.


 Sheriff Frank E. Scobey was elected to a second term as Sheriff.  Before his second term was finished, Sheriff Scobey was appointed clerk of the Ohio General Assembly.  Sheriff Scobey later became director of the United States Mint and then director of the Federal Reserve Bank of Texas.


No information could be found on Sheriff W. E. Rogers. 


No information could be found on Sheriff R. W. Gibson.

It is believed up until around this time, the term of Sheriff was for 2 years. Around this time the term for Sheriff became 4 years.


After his term of office, Sheriff Lewis Paul served as court bailiff for many years.


No information could be found on Sheriff Joe Barnett.


While in the office of sheriff, Sheriff Herr’s daughter and son-in-law lived with the Sheriff and his wife in the sheriff’s residence.  The residence was located in the same building as the jail. 

Sheriff Herr’s daughter had a son while living in the sheriff’s residence, Carl Moser of Tipp City. 

After leaving the office of sheriff, Sheriff Herr became a county commissioner.


Sheriff Mont. C. Spillman became a United States Marshal after leaving the office of sheriff.  While a United States Marshal he was based in Dayton, Ohio.


Sheriff Frank Matthews had been a captain in World War I.  While he was sheriff his brother was shot by John Dillinger during a bank robbery in Piqua.

During prohibition federal prisoners were housed in the Miami County Jail.

One bootlegger, who also dealt in stolen furs, had a hat and muff made as a gift for the chief deputy’s daughter.


Sheriff Charles Green bought a 1931 Buick which was one of the first cars to have bullet proof glass installed.

Federal Marshals asked Sheriff Green to drive Catherine Kelly, wife of the notorious “Machine Gun” Kelly, from Toledo to Milan, Michigan.  It was not her husband, but her boyfriend, Vern Miller, a member of the gang, who had threatened to rescue her.  There were six people in the car when she was transported.  Five were heavily armed and the prisoner.


Sheriff Kenneth Miller was an Army captain in World War I.  The evening of the day Sheriff Miller took office, the Val Decker Packing Company in Piqua went on strike.  Sheriff Miller was called to keep the peace, canceling his election celebration.


Sheriff Cecil T. Marshall had been a licensed undertaker for six years before being elected sheriff.  Sheriff Marshall was called out on a plane crash because the coroner would not remove the bodies. 


Sheriff Richard Seifried was bailiff of the Piqua Municipal Court for eleven years before being elected sheriff.

At that time prisoners worked on county property, the County Experiment Farm, and the County Home. The grounds for Dettmer Hospital were cleared by the prisoners.

The law at the time stated that each prisoner should have one good meal every three days.

Harry Gold, brother of Ethel Rosenberg of the famous atomic secrets spy case of Julius and Ethel Rosenburg, was incarcerated in the county jail as a federal prisoner.  Harry Gold came into the jail flashing money and insisted that he have silk sheets.  He also insisted that his meals be prepared by a restaurant and brought to him.

At this time there were 89 inmates in the county jail and Mr. Gold was told that he was just another prisoner.


 Sheriff Robert C. Henning was elected sheriff after serving as Sheriff Seifried’s chief deputy for six years.

Sheriff Henning was from Piqua but he graduated from Troy High School in 1937.  Before being elected sheriff, Sheriff Henning was the assistant service manager of the Waco Aircraft Company serving from 1940 to 1948, at which time he was appointed deputy for the Miami County Sheriff’s Office. 

Sheriff Henning was elected in a new era of law enforcement.  Miami County had a population of 65,000 and a staff of five deputies.

Sheriff Henning organized the first Sheriff’s Patrol of whom are volunteer deputies.  There would be, by Sheriff Henning’s decree, no racial or political qualifications required to be a deputy.  Each deputy was responsible for his own uniforms and equipment.  Each deputy was also required to donate a minimum amount of service hours and had to attend intensive training.

Sheriff Henning’s vision during his term of office gave the citizens of Miami County over 125,000 hours of free protection and assistance.


Sheriff Robert C. Henning was elected to his second term as sheriff of Miami County.

Sheriff Robert C. Henning was unable to complete his term as sheriff. On June 22, 1963, Sheriff Robert C. Henning passed away.  Sheriff Robert C. Henning was the first Sheriff of Miami County to die in office. Sheriff Robert C. Henning was 45 years old at the time of his death.


Since Sheriff Robert C. Henning passed away in office, special legislation had to be passed to allow an interim sheriff to be appointed by the Miami County Commissioners.

This appointment of interim sheriff was to fill the vacancy of Sheriff until the Republican party could name a person to complete Sheriff Henning’s term.

Former Sheriff Charles Green was appointed as interim sheriff until a new sheriff could be named by the Republican party.


Sheriff Chester Paulus was named by the Miami County Republican Party to be the sheriff to complete Sheriff Henning’s term.

At the time of Sheriff Paulus’ appointment he was a Sergeant at the Miami County Sheriff’s Office.

Sheriff Paulus was born in Newton Township, Miami County, on August 2, 1915.  He came from a family of 12 children, 8 boys and 4 girls.  Sheriff Paulus had to go to work prior to completing high school, quitting in his junior year to go to work as a carpenter.  Sheriff Paulus was well known for his wood working abilities and cabinet making.

In 1937 Sheriff Paulus married Genevieve M. Hershey from Troy.  Mr. and Mrs. Paulus had three children, 1 girl and 2 boys.  Chester Paulus Jr., Sheriff Paulus’ oldest son served as a Troy firefighter until he moved to Florida and retired as a firefighter in the state of Florida.

Sheriff Paulus started his law enforcement career when he joined the West Milton Police Department on February 8, 1951.  While serving on the West Milton Police Department, Sheriff Paulus was appointed to the Miami County Sheriff’s Patrol under Sheriff Robert C. Henning.

On August 24, 1957 Sheriff Paulus was appointed to a full time position as a deputy at the Miami County Sheriff’s Office.  Sheriff Paulus was later appointed to the position of sergeant which he held until being named to the position of sheriff to complete Sheriff Henning’s term of office.

When appointed to the position as sheriff, Sheriff Paulus appointed his wife, Genevieve, as Jail Matron.


In 1964 Sheriff Chester Paulus was elected to his first full term as Sheriff.


Sheriff Chester Paulus was elected to his second term as sheriff.  Sheriff Paulus employed 9 full time deputies who would work days and second shift with deputies being called out at night if needed.  The Miami County Sheriff’s Patrol volunteer deputies worked many hours to assist the full time deputies.

In 1970 Sheriff Paulus appointed enough deputies to allow deputies to work all three shifts, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Along with handling duties on the road, deputies would also have to work as dispatcher and jailer.  The county jail housed adult male, female, juvenile male and juvenile female prisoners.

Sheriff Paulus helped build the Sheriff’s Patrol Building located on North County Road 25A and established the law enforcement training school.  The land for the Sheriff’s Patrol Building was leased by the Sheriff’s Patrol from the county so the building could be built at no expense to the county.  The Sheriff’s Patrol Building is still used as a training facility as well as a base station for the deputies working the road.

NOVEMBER 22, 1972


While Sheriff Paulus was still in office, Miami County and the Miami County Sheriff’s Office experienced the loss of a deputy killed in the line of duty.

Sergeant William R. “Bill” Morris, a 21 year veteran, was killed in the line of duty.  Sergeant Morris responded to a call of two young male subjects attempting to steal a vehicle on Floral Acres Drive located off County Road 25A and north of St. Rt. 571.

Sergeant Morris was fatally wounded by one of the 16 year old male subjects after an exchange of gunfire between the young male subject and Sergeant Morris.  Sergeant Morris had confronted the suspects on County Road 25A just south of Floral Acres Drive.  After fatally wounding Sergeant Morris, the male subject attempted to drive away in the deputy’s unmarked patrol car. 

The suspect drove the vehicle a short distance to a farm located just north of the crime scene.

The suspect fled from the vehicle into a shed where he fired at officers in the area until he was about to run out of ammunition.  The suspect then used his own weapon to end his life.

Sergeant Morris, the first deputy in Miami County to be killed in the line of duty left behind a wife, Eunice, 4 children, William Jr., Charles, Helen, Robert, and one grandchild.

When Sheriff Paulus left the office of sheriff he was the last sheriff to serve in the old Miami County Sheriff’s Office and Jail.  The old Sheriff’s Office and Jail were demolished to make way for what we now know as the Miami County Safety Building.

The Miami County Jail was moved to Piqua and prisoners were housed in the Piqua Police Department’s Jail.  Deputies continued working the jail.

The Sheriff’s Office staff and deputies were housed at the Sheriff’s Patrol Building until the Safety Building could be completed.

When Sheriff Paulus left the office of sheriff he remained employed as a full time deputy.  He worked as a deputy in the records division of the Sheriff’s Office until February of 1976. He retired with 25 years of law enforcement experience.

Sheriff Chester Paulus passed away April 17, 1977, 1 year after retiring.


Sheriff James P. “Moose” McMaken was born on October 23, 1922, in Piqua.  Sheriff McMaken attended Piqua City Schools where he was very active in football, baseball and basketball.

Sheriff McMaken was a senior in high school when he decided to enlist in the

United States Navy.  Sheriff McMaken served on the USS Franklin during World War  II and was the recipient of the Purple Heart Medal.

On September 10, 1945, Sheriff McMaken married Charlyne F. McKiney, who was also from Piqua.  They had two children, Dennis and James Craig.

Sheriff McMaken started his law enforcement career on September 1, 1963, when he was appointed chief deputy under Sheriff Chester Paulus.  Sheriff McMaken was employed at Piqua Daily Call at the time of his appointment.

Sheriff McMaken was elected sheriff and took office in 1973.  Sheriff McMaken was the first sheriff in the new Sheriff’s Office which is located on the north end of the Miami County Safety Building in Troy.

Sheriff McMaken’s son, James Craig McMaken was a full time deputy on the Miami County Sheriff’s Office serving for 10 years.  Sheriff McMaken’s wife, Charlyne, also served as jail matron while Sheriff McMaken was in Office.

Sheriff McMaken retired from law enforcement on January 2, 1977, after he failed to be re-elected for a second term.

Sheriff McMaken passed away at the age of 82 on February 1, 2005.


Sheriff Thurmen S. Adkins started his law enforcement career at the Troy Police Department where he was employed for 6 1/2 years before being elected sheriff.

Sheriff Adkins held a private investigators license and owned the Adkins Detective Agency in Troy, Ohio.

Sheriff Adkins’ training in law enforcement was taken through the Dayton Police Academy and the Highway Patrol Academy in Columbus.  Sheriff Adkins received his Associates Degree from Sinclair College in 1973 and earned his Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice Administration from the University of Dayton in 1975.

Sheriff Adkins trained two of his deputies to serve as coroners investigators in Miami County.  He also established a basic training school which was taught by seven members of the sheriff’s office who were certified by the State of Ohio.

Sheriff Adkins added a SWAT team to the sheriff’s office which consisted of 4 trained deputies. 

He also employed three female deputies on the sheriff’s office, one of them being his wife, who worked in the same capacity as the male deputies.

Sheriff Adkins required deputies to attend many schools and seminars every year in order to keep abreast of the many problems and changes in law enforcement.

Education of the public in general safety, neighborhood watch programs, rape prevention seminars and highway safety received high priority according to Sheriff Adkins.

Sheriff Adkins employed 30 full time deputies while serving as sheriff.  He also attempted to upgrade the Sheriff’s Patrol adding 25 deputies to the patrol and requiring more training.

Sheriff Adkins failed to be re-elected in 1980.


Sheriff Luther B. Dunfee began his first term as Sheriff of Miami County in 1981.  Sheriff Dunfee was born in Athens, Ohio and graduated from Athens High School in 1941. 

Sheriff Dunfee went into the Navy Air Core and served in the Core from 1941 until 1946.  Sheriff Dunfee was a radio gunner and was based on the Air Escort Carrier, Makin Island.

In 1949 Sheriff Dunfee met and married his wife, Joan Kern, who was also from Athens.  Sheriff Dunfee and his wife had two children, David and Cindy.

After serving in the Navy, Sheriff Dunfee attended Citadel on a football scholarship.  Citadel is located in Charleston, South Carolina.  Sheriff Dunfee graduated with a BS degree in business in 1950.

Sheriff Dunfee had a very successful football career at Citadel as a running back.  Sheriff Dunfee still holds the longest punt return of 92 yards and the longest kick off return of 98 yards, both resulting in touchdowns.

After graduating from Citadel, Sheriff Dunfee and his wife moved to Iowa.  Sheriff Dunfee worked at the Rath Packing Company in the sales training program.

In 1951 Sheriff Dunfee and his wife returned to Ohio.  Sheriff Dunfee joined the Ohio State Highway Patrol and started the OSP academy in 1952 as a trooper.

After graduating from the OSP academy Sheriff Dunfee served at several patrol posts including Delaware, Lancaster, Portsmouth (Post Commander) and Piqua.

In 1968 Sheriff Dunfee received his Masters Degree in Police Administration from Michigan State University.

In 1973 Sheriff Dunfee was assigned to the Piqua Post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol and he later retired from the Piqua Post as a District Staff Lieutenant in 1978.

During Sheriff Dunfee’s career with the Ohio State Highway Patrol he was a firearms instructor at the Patrol Academy.  Sheriff Dunfee was also a guest teacher at Northwestern University.

After retiring from the State Highway Patrol, Sheriff Dunfee remained very active with his firearms.  In 1978 Sheriff Dunfee became the NRA National Retired Firearms Champion.

After being elected Sheriff of Miami County in 1980 and taking office in 1981, Sheriff Dunfee always wore a business suit instead of a uniform.  The only time Sheriff Dunfee was known to wear his uniform was the day he was sworn in as sheriff.


 In 1984 Sheriff Luther B. Dunfee was elected into his second term as sheriff of Miami County.

During his second term as sheriff he decided to change the rank structure in the Miami County Sheriff’s Office.  Deputies were no longer known as deputies, they became agents.  Deputies in charge, such as sergeants and lieutenants, were known as agents in charge.  The rank of agents and agents in charge remained in the Sheriff’s Office until the end of Sheriff Dunfee’s second term.  He  was defeated in his bid for re-election.

FEBRUARY 25, 1987


On February 25, 1987, Sergeant Robert Elliott, age 36 and a 15 year veteran of the Miami County Sheriff’s Office was shot and killed in the line of duty.

Sergeant Elliott was guarding a prisoner at Stouder Memorial Hospital in Troy when the prisoner attempted to take Sergeant Elliott’s weapon.  During the struggle the prisoner was able to obtain Sergeant Elliott’s weapon.  The prisoner shot Sergeant Elliott with the deputy’s duty weapon. 

Sergeant Elliott was transported to Miami Valley Hospital where he died from the wound he had received.

After shooting the deputy, the prisoner escaped by jumping out a second floor window taking with him the deputy’s service weapon.  The prisoner took a set of car keys from a woman in the parking lot along with her purse.  The prisoner took the woman’s car and headed west on McKaig in Troy.

On the morning of February 26, 1987 the prisoner was believed to be involved in an armed robbery of a gas station near London, Kentucky.  The prisoner was stopped by a Kentucky State Trooper and a patrolman from London, Kentucky.

After an exchange of gunfire between the prisoner and the officers, the prisoner shot himself with the weapon he had in his possession.  The prisoner died from a single gunshot wound to the chest.

It was later confirmed that the weapon the prisoner used to shoot at the officers and take his own life was the same weapon he had stolen from Sergeant Elliott.

Sergeant Robert Elliott was survived by his wife Tamarra Ann (Headly) Elliott, 3 children, Gloria age 12, Nathan age 3, and Rhea age 1.  Sergeant Elliott was also survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Elliott of New Carlisle, Ohio.

Sheriff Luther B. Dunfee retired in 1988 after failing to be re-elected as Sheriff of Miami County.

Sheriff Luther B. Dunfee passed away October 11, 2005.


Sheriff Charles A. Cox was first elected as Sheriff of Miami County in 1988. 

Sheriff Cox was born in Piqua and attended Piqua High School.  While attending Piqua High School, Sheriff Cox was very active in football, basketball and baseball.  Sheriff Cox was named All Miami Valley and All State in basketball and excelled in baseball.  Sheriff Cox graduated from Piqua High School in 1963.

After graduation Sheriff Cox worked at Hobart Manufacturing in Troy for a short period of time before enlisting in the United States Army.  While in the Army, Sheriff Cox served in Korea as a Military Policeman and obtained the rank of Sergeant.  Sheriff Cox was honorably discharged from the Army in 1968.

Upon being discharged from the service Sheriff Cox worked for a local bank in the collections department.

Sheriff Cox married Lynn Russell and they have 4 children, Heather, Valerie, Megan and Patrick.

While at a Piqua-Troy football game Sheriff Cox met with a Troy police officer who he had been in the service with.  The Troy officer advised him to take the test for the Troy Police Department.  Sheriff Cox started as a Troy police officer in 1969.

While serving on the Troy Police Department, Sheriff Cox obtained his Associate Degree in law enforcement from Sinclair College.  Sheriff Cox also obtained a degree in bookkeeping and accounting.

In 1972 Sheriff Cox was promoted to detective with the Troy Police Department.  In 1974 Sheriff Cox and his family moved to Troy.  Sheriff Cox remained with the Troy Police department as a detective until 1982. In 1982 he resigned to go into private business.

After leaving the Troy Police Department Sheriff Cox remained involved in law enforcement.  Sheriff Cox worked at a detective agency and was involved with the drug task force.  Sheriff Cox worked as a special investigator in 1984 and aided a special prosecutor with the investigation of wrong doing in the Dayton Police Department.

 After being elected in 1988 and taking Office in 1989 Sheriff Cox eliminated the agents and agents in charge and returned the officers to being deputies.


 Sheriff Cox was re-elected to a second term as Sheriff of Miami County.  Sheriff Cox continued into his second term as sheriff with many priorities, one being officer education and training.  With officer education and training, the deputies were better able to handle the continuing changes in law enforcement and better serve the citizens of Miami County.


Sheriff Cox was re-elected to a third term as Sheriff of Miami County.

The changes in law enforcement also brought overcrowding to the Miami County Jail.  Sheriff Cox had been working on a new facility to handle the overcrowding of the county jail.  In 1999 the Miami County Incarceration Facility was built on North County Road 25A in Troy at no expense to county taxpayers.

When the new incarceration facility was opened contracts with other agencies were granted to house prisoners at the facility.  The contracts with the other agencies generates approximately one million to two million dollars a year to help cover the cost of operation.


Sheriff Cox was re-elected to his fourth term as Sheriff of Miami County.

Sheriff Cox continues in keeping up with the constant changes in law enforcement with education and training for his deputies.

Working with Clerk of Courts Jan A. Mottinger, Sheriff Cox received $82,000.00 from Mr. Mottinger to replace the light bars on all of the patrol cars for the Sheriff’s Office.  Mr. Mottinger transferred the money from his title fund for the light bars so no money had to be used from the county general fund.

The roof at the Sheriff’s Training Center was in need of repair with an estimated cost of $12,000.00.  Working with Clerk of Courts Jan A. Mottinger again, Sheriff Cox was able to obtain the funds for the repairs from Mr. Mottinger’s title fund so no money had to be used from the county general fund.

Sheriff Cox has added deputies to the road patrol as well as the detective section of the Sheriff’s Office.


Sheriff Cox was re-elected to his fifth term as Sheriff of Miami County.

Sheriff Cox is a big advocate for education and training for his deputies so it was decided to add an addition to the training center so specialized training could be brought to Miami County and all officers within the county could benefit. With training being conducted in Miami County more officers could be trained with less expense to local agencies.

The cost of the addition along with the remodeling of the training center to accommodate the road patrol deputies, was $166,000.00.  Clerk of Courts Jan A. Mottinger agreed to fund this expenditure from his title fund which saved the county from paying for the remodel and addition out of the general fund.

With the changes in law enforcement over the years and the costs involved, several villages within Miami County had to eliminate their police departments.  When villages and towns eliminate with their police departments it is the responsibility of the Sheriff to provide law enforcement coverage for those villages and towns.

It is also the responsibility of the Sheriff to provide deputies to cover Common Pleas Court as well as Juvenile Court.  Sheriff Cox has added 3 court deputies to cover those courts.

Sheriff Cox has added 2 school resource deputies and 1 school educational resource deputy to handle four schools in Miami County.

The Sheriff’s Office under the leadership of Sheriff Cox has contracts with Pleasant Hill, Bethel Township, Elizabeth Township and the Miami County Park District to provide additional coverage in those areas.

Sheriff Cox has also been involved in the Buckeye State Sheriff’s Association. He has been the only Sheriff of Miami County to be the President of the Buckeye State Sheriff’s Association.  Sheriff Cox became president in 2005 which was also the 75th Anniversary of the Buckeye State Sheriff’s Association.  Sheriff Cox is currently chairman of the Community Corrections Committee and Chaplains Committee for the Buckeye State Sheriff’s Association.  He also sits on the Legislative Committee and Awards Committee.

Sheriff Cox has also been involved in the National Sheriff’s Association sitting on the Chaplains Committee and the Gift of Life Committee as well as the National Jail Association.

At times you may see Sheriff Cox, in uniform, assisting deputies with calls on the road.

Sheriff Cox has indicated that he will be seeking his sixth term as Sheriff of Miami County at the next election.


Information obtained from and printed in cooperation with the Miami County Historical Society